The Individual Sections of the South Downs Way
The South Downs Way stretches from the city of Winchester to Eastbourne, crossing the entire length of the South Downs Naitonal Park. It’s just over 160km in length, or 100 miles in old units, and is split into 10 official sections. The 9th section has two options, an inland version via Jevington and a coastal version via the Seven Sisters.
- South Downs Way from Winchester City to Beacon Hill – 17 km
- South Downs Way from Beacon Hill to Old Winchester Hill – 7 km
- South Downs Way from Old Winchester Hill to Buriton – 19 km
- South Downs Way from Buriton to Cocking Hill – 16 km
- South Downs Way from Cocking Hill to Amberley – 19 km
- South Downs Way from Amberley to the River Adur – 20 km
- South Downs Way from River Adur to River Ouse – 33 km
- South Downs Way from River Ouse to River Cuckmere & Alfriston – 11 km
- South Downs Way from Alfriston to Eastbourne via Seven Sisters – 17 km
- South Downs Way from Alfriston to Eastbourne via Jevington – 13 km
South Downs Way National Trail Itineraries
Completion in 9 days is more than feasible, but the 7th section between River Adur and River Ouse is much longer than the other legs and might need splitting in two. A fit walker could complete the walk in 5 days or so, but walking over 8-10 days would allow more time to see the sights on the way.